As a father of three children, soon four, I am very concerned with the education my children will receive or maybe not receive. The paper from Brother Ivers really brought all of my worries for their education to the surface.We live in Korea and I have one daughter that is in Elementary school. Korea's standards of education do not even compare with the US's. Korea is incredibly advanced in their education system, and that is the only positive remark I have about it. In the US, I am worried that they might have lazy, union protected, tenured teacher. I think that is a fear of every parent who loves their children and wants them to be educated. In Korea, that is the farthest worry from my mind, it is in fact quite the opposite that worries me. My daughter is in Kindergarten and this March (it is when they start their school year), she will go into the first grade. In America you learn your ABC's and how to spell your name and simple things like that. Basic math and so on, in Korea, by the first grade my child needs to understand word problems. She needs to be able to read at a higher level, speak at a higher level and basically be at what would be the equivalent of a 3rd or 4th grader in America in 1st grade in Korea. Children her age already spend time in private institutions learning math, English, science and more. A child my daughters age has an academic schedule that starts at 7 am and and does not finish until around 8 pm or later. That is not an exaggeration. I teach a child my daughters age and she starts at my school at 7 pm. She started her actual school at 7 that morning, she had yet to go home. Korea has many issues and as an American I am not qualified to address them or solve them. It is not really my place, but as a father of a school aged child here it is extremely my concern and I am definitely qualified to fix those issues with my family. But the problem is that if I keep my daughter from going to Hagwons (private teaching schools), then she will fall behind and it could become a negative situation for her. My other concern is that when we go back to America she will not get the right education either. So, in that area does it fall to me or my wife to teach her? I am going to answer my own question, but so can you. I am adding a link to a video from a YouTuber called Boyinaband, he made a type of rap song about this subject. I do not think it has any curse words or suggestive lyrics, so feel free to click the link, but also do so with the understanding that you are an adult and responsible for what you listen to or watch.
Also I recommend subscribing to him, as he is a pretty funny person to watch. I am not sure exactly how to give credit to someone online, but this is His video and I am just wanting to show it. It is a really great video! Click on his name to see his channel or click on the link below to view the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xe6nLVXEC0
Also I recommend subscribing to him, as he is a pretty funny person to watch. I am not sure exactly how to give credit to someone online, but this is His video and I am just wanting to show it. It is a really great video! Click on his name to see his channel or click on the link below to view the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xe6nLVXEC0
Hi David, thanks for sharing your concerns about your children's education. I have a ten-year-old son and I could understand how you feel. I would have the same concerns. Is homeschooling a possibility in Korea? I'm from Brazil and here it is not. Thanks for sharing the video. It gave us food for thought.
ReplyDeleteHi David. You have quite the dilemma. I would have the same concern as you. Like Carine asked, can you homeschool?
ReplyDeleteMy wife and I have thought about it for when we return the US, but in Korea our schedules are so busy and demanding that we do not have time to home-school. It is something that we are concerned over. But, nothing has come to fruition with it. At least at this point in our lives. And in Korea you only have to attend Elementary school as far as I know.
ReplyDelete