Hello,
I am on here again
for a third time this week! I know you are as happy about that as I am. So,
cultural miscommunication. I have so many stories and I am going to share a few
of them. First up, in Korea it is a social norm to get married at 30. In LDS
culture you would be considered an “old maid” or whatever that term is. But also,
in America, or at least the America that I grew up in being married at 18 was
not that strange and being married by 21 was completely normal. Even starting
your own family that young was almost and, in many ways, still considered
normal. My wife married me at 26 and I was 24. I thought we were a little older
to be getting married as most of the people I knew were already married by our
age. When my wife told her mother, she was getting married to me or rather when
I proposed her mom did not like it at all. And to make matters worse my wife
told me as plainly as you would tell someone hello. She just said her mom was upset
that we were getting married. I did not like that. And after we got married, we
moved to Korea and I had still not gotten over it. So, my first experience
meeting my mother in law was done so with a scowl on my face. She did not like
that either. I was upset. At that time, I was not great at sharing my feelings
and so my wife was not aware. She knew I was nervous, and I was, I just didn’t want
to ruin her reunion with her family. As time went on my wife and I grew closer
together and now we share everything, but at the time we were still newlyweds, I
had a John Wayne complex and that was that. So, her mom took us out to dinner,
and she wanted to show she cared and took us to Outback steakhouse here in Korea.
I did not know her mom at the time and did not really care where we ate, and so
we went. I did not really know what to get as I was really tired from our 22-hour
flight. I ordered Salmon which is not something I have ever eaten in a restaurant
before then. I always ate steak or ribs or BBQ or burgers or whatever. So, I
thought why not. Now, I have eaten many foods from different cultures due to
certain things in my life and I was not unexperienced with foreign food. And I
mean real foreign food. Not Americanized foreign food. Anyway, the food arrived,
and I started to eat. It tasted weird to me, but I was not an expert on Salmon.
I got halfway through it and realized it was raw. That was a new one for me. I
did not react well and demanded a free meal out of it. I was mad and I was not
in the mood. I could not have acted more like a fool than I did that night. A
few years later her mom came to America to visit us. She saw firsthand how
different it is than Korea. She was amazed by the size of the country and the space,
Korea is about the size of Florida, maybe a little smaller actually but with
like five times the population. So, she came to America and I was finally able
to ask her what the deal was. I said it much better than that as I had really
grown by this point. I asked her what was wrong, and she told me. She said you
are a student and are young, I was worried that at your age and status marriage
would be too challenging and stressful for you, I wondered why you couldn’t
just date for ten years or something. I told her how Americans do things and
how our church does things. We lived in Rexburg Idaho at the time and she soon
saw I was telling the truth. Weddings every Saturday at the Temple really
opened her eyes. We had a difficult relationship because I did not understand
her culture and she did not understand mine. We had a cultural
misunderstanding.
Second, I am going to
say the one that has caused me the most stress and trouble is this, in Korea
people stare at you if you look different than they do. Which means if you are
a blonde and blue eyed American you will be aggressively stared at as though you
were a superstar or something. Now, under regular circumstances that would not
be a problem. But you see I grew up in an area where if you stared at someone the
way they stare at me, it meant you were looking for trouble. So, when I first
got here, you might imagine how that was difficult. I did not know why they
were staring as in America seeing people of who looked differently than I did
was common, and I never even thought about it, but in Korea I might as well be
one of the wonders of the world. People will stare me down and one time someone
followed me around the grocery just staring at me and showed no sign of shame
or anything. When I first got here, I almost fought someone because they were
staring me down and not looking away, it was late at night and in a type of
alley and my wife and I were walking home. In Korea especially in the southern
area of the country (not a North Korean reference) I am talking about the southern
part of south Korea. So, it was safe, but this guy kept walking toward us and
was staring me down, I took this as a sign of hostility and reacted. He got shocked
and started talking in Korean. My wife came to his rescue and said that he was
just looking. I was like “looking at what”? And she said “you”. The guy moved
on and my wife told me about how I am unique to them and they are just staring
because they may have never even seen an American in person. It is different
now and not as bad, but still there are some days where I just about lose it
and just want to walk around with a bag or a mask on my head. Just check out YouTube
and search Koreans staring. And you will see what I mean. So, another
misconception and misunderstanding that I did not react well to. When I was younger,
I was a lot more motivated to certain actions than I am now, and so I may come
off as wild or a bully, but it was not that way. It was late and, in an alley,
in America is that ever a good place to be? Think about it?
Hi David!
ReplyDeleteI just say that you are very strong. I learned from your story that we need to learn more about other's culture. I believe that the culture of the Gospel helps us to become one.