Skip to main content

10/15/2019:Week 5 Response to "Cultural differences Concerning Time".


Hello again,
So, life in Korea is a much different than the United States. But in some ways, it is the same. In Korea they seem to be both monochronic and polychronic. I have seen and experienced time and time again what it means to my wife to be on time. She is from Korea. She is not the only one who feels that way. But at the same time, business seems to be run in a polychronic style. They keep long hours and jump from priority to priority. It doesn’t seem that order is that important. They also focus a lot on team building. They often go on retreats together and usually eat meals and drink together after work. Not as individual friends, but as a company or a team. So, while they are very formal with each other and value being on time in their culture their work life seems drastically different. I am not wanting to put down Korea. It is a beautiful country with an incredibly rich culture and history. But between its government and its business practices and the massive stress that people in the country go through daily, Korea is really struggling. Their birth rate and family size have shrunk which leads to economic losses and dysfunctional behaviors as violent crime is on the rise. I am not going to provide statistics or links or anything, go search for it yourself if you are interested, because that is not my focus today. Being monochronic minded myself I tend error on the side of logic, Koreans generally don’t follow that as their emotions tend to guide them more so than logic. It is not a bad thing, just different.
In my own personal way of doing things I am not always on time. That is kind a bit of a struggle for me that deals more with time management. But I feel bad about it and I would not feel that way if I were polychronic.
Another story is that when we lived in South western Texas a few years ago I struggled to find work as I had fallen on hard times. I was not able to find anything no matter where I applied. The area was about 97% Hispanic and I only knew people in my ward, but not really well. One day I went to my Bishop as we were moving from there, we went to say goodbye and everything. We were not there for long due to some circumstances. But as I told him how hard it had been for me to find a job even though I was definitely qualified and everything it was near impossible. He told me plainly it was because I was white and did not know any of the locals and that I did not have family connections. It was essentially Latin-America and I was basically a foreigner. I did not speak Spanish and did not have connections. That is why it was so hard to find work. Even though I was more than qualified. So, in a polychronic area you need to really be friendly and make all the connections you can.
I am not the most outgoing person in the world and so it is something that I am working on daily as I live here in Korea. I learned about networking and I know it is important, but my personality is more of wanting to do things on my own, living here and pretty much anywhere that type of attitude can be good up to a point, so it is good to always have balance. Don’t try to be too much of anything.
One more note, a law in Korea states that if you are caught committing a crime, but say you were too drunk to be thinking clearly or remember, you sentence is either dramatically reduced or completely thrown out. So, a drunk driver that kills a pedestrian could potentially walk away free due to a law like this. It just shows the differences between the two styles, in America whether you were intoxicated or not would not matter to the judge, you are going to jail. But in Korea they believe that the person should have no fault if their thinking abilities and mental faculties were compromised. A link to the video mentioned will be available below.
Ivers BYUI

Comments