Skip to main content

10/29/19; Week 7: Response to "Cross-Cultural Students in the Classroom".

Hello,

I am talking today about how it can be either easy or hard to have a cross-cultural classroom.

I think it all depends on your perspective. If as the teacher you recognize that you are unique in your own beliefs and perspectives, than your students must also be unique. I use the word unique because even though there are many similarities that exist between us as humans, that each one of us is a unique individual with differing views and beliefs and practices.

Knowing that each of your students may come from a different background than yourself, and have different emotional or sometimes even physical needs that are different than your own. For example, if you have a student with a disability that is either physical or mental, you will have to help them to learn in ways that work for them. Even if you have students that are from the same area as you, they may not have the same beliefs or mindsets as you.

My overall point is that when you teach a class recognize that your students are not you, always be sure to remember that. That your students are their own person, and that interactions with them may differ because they are different than you!

Being hurt or offended by the actions or words of another is something that we can either choose to be hurt by or choose to learn by it instead. If you are offended by something your student does or vice versa, try and learn the reason why, instead of taking it personally.

"Love one Another", right? Loving one another allows us to see past our differences and focus on our similarities and by so doing we are able to learn about the differences and learn about the strengths, and gain different perspectives, and all of that enables us to grow. Which I do believe is the reason we are on this earth in the first place.

A quick story about Korea. Korea has a system to where if you are younger than the older person, even in a friendship has to show you respect, respect in the way you talk and act toward them. That is completely different than how I believe. I have lived my life and gone through things that were incredibly hard, and I believe that nothing in this life guarantees you the respect of others. So, our views are different. But, a saying that I really love is this, "people are people". 😀🙋👴👨👳👫

Comments